Hangover Fix | Glutathione: What Happens When You Drink Alcohol- Thomas DeLauer… Get more nutrition tips at: http://www.ThomasDeLauer.com
Glutathione: Glutathione, the mother of all antioxidants, composed of three amino acids – cysteine, glycine, and glutamate.
– Can be found in virtually every cell of the human body.
– The highest concentration of glutathione is in the liver, making it critical in the body’s detoxification process.
– Glutathione depletion has been correlated with lower immune function and increased vulnerability to infection due to the liver’s reduced ability to detoxify (1)
Acetaldehyde: Acetaldehyde is a known Class 1 carcinogen, which means it can cause cancer in humans and animals.
– Drinking, smoking, breathing polluted air, and eating sugars can lead to high levels of acetaldehyde in the body. Acetaldehyde is 30 times more toxic than ethanol.
– The biggest source of acetaldehyde exposure is alcohol. Ethanol is broken down into acetaldehyde during alcohol metabolism.
– When any drinker consumes alcohol, it is acetaldehyde that is responsible for a hangover.
– It irritates the mucous membranes and causes cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver (2)
Hangovers: When alcohol intake is excessive, it significantly depletes glutathione levels.
– When alcohol reaches your liver, an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase breaks it down into acetaldehyde.
– Your body then attempts to break it down with the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that is crucial for liver detoxification (glutathione contains high levels of cysteine)
– Together, this powerful detox duo can break down the acetaldehyde into harmless acetate (which is similar to vinegar)
– However, when you drink too much alcohol, your stores of glutathione become depleted, which allows acetaldehyde to build up in your body, causing the toxic hangover effect (3)
1) Glutathione Information: What is GSH, Biochemistry, Metabolism, and Mechanism of Action. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.essentialgsh.com/glutathione.html
2) Retrieved from http://aldh2deficiency.com/acetaldehyde/
3) Hangover Hacks You Can Hang Your Hat On. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/31/hangover.aspx
4) Hangover Prevention – 2 – Alcohol, Liver, Glutathione – Life Extension Health Concern. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Lifestyle-Longevity/Hangover-Prevention/Page-02