Please Subscribe for 3x Videos Per Week + Live Broadcasts!
Ketogenic Diet: Best / Worst Nuts to Eat: Thomas DeLauer
Top 2 Nuts to Eat:
Pecan nuts –
100g contains 4 grams of net carbs. Pecans contain monounsaturated fats like oleic acid along with phenolic antioxidants that are healthy for your heart and help prevent coronary artery disease and strokes. Pecans may help prevent coronary heart disease by inhibiting unwanted oxidation of blood lipids (Also known as lipid peroxidation – process in which free radicals steal electrons from the lipids in cell membranes, resulting in cell damage)
Pecans are also rich in magnesium, which is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Magnesium intake reduces inflammatory indicators in the body such as CRP (C-reactive protein), TNF (tumor necrosis factor alpha) and IL6 (interleukin 6). It also reduces inflammation in the arterial walls, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease and other inflammatory ailments (1)
100g contains 5 grams of net carbs. Researchers at the Cleveland Clinic found that by taking omega-7 for just 30 days, patients had a 44% reduction in C-reactive protein levels. Not to be confused with Palmitic acid: a saturated fat that is on the World Health Organizations list of most damaging fats to our heart – it is abundant in palm oil and contains properties that can promote inflammation.
Study – Gut Health:
Study, performed by the European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology – subjects who consumed daily oleic acid versus those who did not – found that those who did consume daily oleic acid were 89 percent less likely to have ulcerative colitis (4)
Almonds (Phytic Acid) –
100 grams contains about 10 grams of net carbs. Almonds also have a high phytic acid content – phytic acid, a substance naturally found in plants, serves as the principal storage molecule for phosphorus. Phytic acid binds with other minerals, including zinc, calcium, iron and magnesium. Eating foods high in phytic acid, like almonds, can interfere with the absorption and use of these minerals and lead to a nutrient deficiency (5) When phytic acid binds to a mineral, it becomes a phytate. Once it is a phytate it inhibits the absorption of starches, proteins, and fats. They can be known as “Anti-nutrients.”
100 grams contains roughly 27 grams of carbs. The cashew is a nut and is botanically related to mangoes, pistachios and poison ivy. Cashew trees produce a pear-shaped accessory fruit, or pseudo-fruit, called a cashew apple, which gives rise to a drupe that grows on its end. This is the tree’s true fruit, and the seed inside it is the cashew nut. Cashews are actually “drupes” – means “stone fruits” like peaches and plums. Drupes are fruits that have a soft fleshy exterior and a pit with a seed inside. Cashews also contain aflatoxins, which are toxic byproducts produced by certain fungi. They’ve been shown to cause liver inflammation and liver stress and thereby can stress the liver additionally when in a ketogenic state. By and large, cashews tend to be the most inflammatory nuts. Cornell University has aflatoxins listed as a “plant that is toxic to livestock and animals” as well.
1) Raw Pecans: Discover 7 Health Benefits of Pecans. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/health-benefits-of-pecans/
2) Health Benefits of Nut Consumption. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257681/
3) Purified palmitoleic acid for the reduction of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and serum lipids: a double-blinded, randomized, placebo controll… – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25499944
4) Dietary arachidonic and oleic acid intake in ulcerative colitis etiology: a prospective cohort study using 7-day food diaries. – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24216567
5) Minerals and phytic acid interactions: is it a real problem for human nutrition? Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2002.00618.x/epdf?referrer_access_token=hKyosYTSAzyDZEFFt6ELP1cP6X_2SPADgqOuugN7stPklO_rHE6K6i63kaZyHCeUPXrtFHHy6F3C2qqhc3X_H_WHEwR0wUmsyBYmoWAG1CZVPIzUMFGawnxriRxMwaSp1-yMCxP3JphUz5rciuLV2l__9pYbR436uJdGLy547fWtMnrscTBCUmDdxwy5aYZx3ccIHX3t1hfxNxJmmNxkvjHtLsD0w5tMIxpD_v23ctQ%3D