Subscribe for 3x 4 Videos Per Week here: http://www.ThomasDeLauer.com
Why Long Term Fasting is AMAZING: 1-2 Day Fasts- Thomas DeLauer… Autophagy- Autophagy is a natural process in which your body removes toxins and estrogenic chemicals and recycles damaged cell components. In the brain, upregulation of autophagy is strongly neuroprotective while disruption of autophagy causes neurodegeneration. In the liver, upregulation of autophagy increases lipolysis (fat usage) and insulin sensitivity, while disruption of autophagy leads to prediabetes and metabolic syndrome. In short, it’s important – promotes longevity as it inhibits inflammation and metabolic dysfunctions like obesity and diabetes and can inhibit cancerous growths (1,2)
Study: A study looking at liver cells found that the number of autophagosomes increased 300% after 24 hours of fasting, and a further 30% around 48 hours of fasting – began to decline after 48 hours (3)
Immune Health- USC Study – Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system. A study from USC found that prolonged fasting (2-3 days) can reset and regenerate the immune system – resulted in the depletion of white blood cells and triggered stem cell-based regeneration of new immune system cells. Found that white blood cells are broken down during fasting, which in turn forces the stem cells in your body to produce more – The new white blood cells are not just new, but healthier and more effective than the previous cells. It also reduced the enzyme PKA, which is the key gene that needs to shut down in order for stem cells to switch into regenerative mode – triggers stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system (4)
Ketones- A study from the Yale School of Medicine found that exposing human immune cells to BHB following 2 days of fasting resulted in a reduced inflammatory response. BHB blocks NLRP3 inflammasome by preventing K(+) efflux and reducing ASC oligomerization and speck formation – potassium efflux, ASC, and speck formation are common triggers of NLRP3 (5,6) *NLRP3 inflammasome – a multiprotein oligomer that is activated in response to a variety of infectious stimuli or to cellular stress*
Digestive Health- Fasting acts as a “digestive reset” by giving the digestive tract time to rest from breaking down and absorbing food and helps it strengthen its mucosal lining – About 65% of the body’s energy must be directed to the digestive organs after a meal. This reduces intestinal inflammation and improves motility (contraction of GI muscles in digestion) – leads to better nutrient absorption and improved bowel movement.
Brain- Fasting reduces synaptic activity (synapses allow chemical signals to be passed between neurons.) – the brain’s way of conserving energy and giving itself a little reboot. Reducing synaptic activity helps limit the unwanted oxidative damage in the nervous system – overactive synaptic activity linked with neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s disease (10) Lastly, BHB can cross the BBB due to its hydrophilic nature and can provide the brain with an immediate source of energy.
1) Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
2) The Profound Benefits of Fasting (and Autophagy) | Synchro. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://besynchro.com/blogs/blog/the-profound-benefits-of-fasting-and-autophagy
3) Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy: Autophagy: Vol 6, No 6. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.4161/auto.6.6.12376
4) Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system | USC News. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
5) The ketone metabolite β-hydroxybutyrate blocks NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated inflammatory disease. – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25686106
6) Can Fasting Fight the Flu or Common Cold? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/can-fasting-fight-the-flu-or-cold#section3
7) Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/?page=6
8) Augmented growth hormone (GH) secretory burst frequency and amplitude mediate enhanced GH secretion during a two-day fast in normal men. – PubMed – NCBI. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1548337
10) How Fasting Allows The Brain To Recharge Itself | HuffPost. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fasting-brain-health-benefits_us_5846f164e4b0fe5ab693171f